Treasurer Daniel Mookey handed down the New South Wales budget on Tuesday, September 19, 2023.
Funding highlights for community groups and social sector services included:
- $350 million for a new Regional Development Trust Fund for local amenities, social cohesion and job support in regional communities
- $334 million to build new roads as part of the Regional Roads Fund and $390 million for a new Regional Emergency Road Repair Fund to assist regional councils impacted by recent weather events and natural disasters
- $150 million for a new Community Restoration Flood Fund to support disaster impacted communities in the Northern Rivers and Central West
- $131 million for Closing the Gap initiatives including $25 million to promote health and wellbeing in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- $47.8 million investment in a Multicultural Communities Support Package which includes support for community language schools, and a $30 million Multicultural Capital Partnership Fund to deliver community infrastructure projects
- $30 million for a new Level the Playing Field Facilities Fund for new and upgraded facilities to empower women to participate in sport
- $22 million for scholarships for childcare workers and early childhood education students to boost industry retention rates
- $34.4 million in additional funding over the next four years for 20 women's health centres
- $31.2 million investment to support contemporary music initiatives including establishing a new body called Sound NSW
- $14.5 million for a new Football in Schools program to get more students participating in sport
- $5.8 million for the Future Women's Jobs Academy, a pilot employment program for women
- $5 million towards a 12-month consultation process with Aboriginal communities on treaty
It's still unclear when or how this money will trickle down to not-for-profits and community groups, but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for grant updates relevant to Funding Centre members.
In the meantime, log in to your Funding Centre account to sign up for alerts to be among the first to know where the money is flowing, to search for grants, and to manage your grant applications using the dashboard tool.