Northern Territory treasurer Eva Lawler handed down her inaugural Territory budget on May 9, 2023. Highlights for community groups and social sector services in the Top End included these announcements:
- $20 million for domestic violence prevention and services
- $9 million for the Community Places for People grants program for regional and shire councils (eligible councils are invited to apply)
- $6.3 million in capital grants, including the Business Security Assistance grant program and grants provided for tourism industry development
- $6.1 million for the Sport Voucher Scheme and the Learn to Swim program
- $2.5 million to encourage participation in the circular economy, through two grant programs:
- the Territory Recycling Grant, providing grants up to $20,000 towards the purchase of small-scale recycling equipment
- the Transformational Circular Economy Infrastructure Grant, providing grants of up to $500,000 for infrastructure projects with a focus on repurposing construction, demolition, food, garden and organic waste
- $2.4 million for the Remote Aboriginal Teacher Education program, which includes professional learning grants
- $1.5 million for Screen Territory to provide $100,000 grants to support local screen practitioners, attract productions to the Territory, and provide upskilling opportunities for locals
- $1 million for regional tourism association grants for visitor services across the Territory
- $150,000 to support long day care providers and three-year-old kindergarten services through the toy and equipment grant program
- $90,000 in grants to support a range of organisations for various events and activities to mark International Women’s Day
It's still unclear when or how this money will trickle down to not-for-profits and community groups, but we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for grant updates relevant to Funding Centre members.
In the meantime, log in to your Funding Centre account and sign up for alerts to be among the first to know where the money is flowing, and to search for and manage your grant applications using the dashboard tool.